Virtual Careers Fair
This virtual exhibition brings together organisations and training providers from Plymouth and the South West; including local universities and apprenticeship providers to small businesses and organisations with global interests. From careers in IT and dentistry, manufacturing and engineering, the building environment, to landscape architecture, healthcare, music, the Police and the Forces, the range is truly comprehensive.
Airbus is an international reference in the aerospace sector. They design, manufacture and deliver industry-leading commercial aircraft, helicopters, military transports, satellites and launch vehicles, as well as providing data services, navigation, secure communications, urban mobility and other solutions for customers on a global scale.
BAE Systems Apprenticeships
To help you find the right scheme for you we normally hold Open Evenings at each of our sites. Unfortunately this year due to Covid restrictions we cannot meet face to face so we are now holding ‘Virtual Open Evenings’. The link below will take you to a page where you can book your place to attend whichever scheme/or schemes you would like to know more about. The plus side is you can now join open evenings which are normally miles out of your location.
Please register here:
The events can be viewed and registration links for an event are on the page in the link above.
There is also a downloadable Air Apprentice Booklet.
If you already know which scheme you would like to apply for you can go straight to the applications page. For applications for the AIR Apprenticeships specifically; please follow this link: https://baesystems.groupgti.com/VacancyPosting/Search#!/?facet_field=facetstring_VacancyDetail_BusinessUnit_Text:Air
For more information on Early Careers and Apprenticeships/Graduates/Undergraduates please look here:
We are really looking forward to your attendance at the open events. Please remember to register online ahead of the event. The window to register will close 2 days before each event.
The British Army protects the United Kingdom’s interests at home and abroad, providing a safe and secure environment in which all British citizens can live and prosper.
We offer over 76 different entry level jobs, and in each and every one of these positions are opportunities for gaining skills and qualifications. No matter what your background or experience, you can find where you belong in the British Army.
We’ll help you uncover strengths you didn’t know you had, and you’ll feel the benefits not just for your Army career but wherever your career leads afterwards.
- Introductory Video for Army Careers Download link
- 16 and 17 year olds starting their career in the British Army Army Foundation College Harrogate
- How to fund your Degree in the British Army Fund your degree
- Over 40 apprenticeship schemes from animal care to vehicle maintenance Army Apprenticeships
- Virtual Army Careers Centre - Register for Live Careers Webinars from the British Army here
- How to apply
What age can I apply and how?
You can apply from 15 years, 7 months online
Do I get paid in training?
Yes, your pay starts at around £15,600 and rises to £20,000 after completing 26 weeks of training
What qualifications do I need to you?
It depends which role you want to do, some roles require no qualifications
Do I need specific training beforehand?
No, we give you all the training you need
Do I get an Apprenticeship from AFC Harrogate?
You start your apprenticeship journey at AFC Harrogate, but you will complete your apprenticeship as part of your Trade Training in your job role. 98% of soldiers enrol on an apprenticeship programme
Royal Air Force
- Please click here to access an interactive PDF linking to RAF Recruitment pre-recorded YouTube videos, Q and A sessions on subjects such as Apprenticeships, Sponsorship, Parents Guide, etc.
Royal Navy Area Engagement Team-SW can offer you virtual or face to face workshops, please contact Leading Hand Karen Caller on Karen.Caller@royalnavymail.mod.uk or call 07891 729995. We are here to support learning within schools and colleges with Practical Leadership Tasks that encourage and develop Team Building, Problem Solving, Communication and Leadership skills.
Apprenticeships and Training
BD invites you to become an integral part of a company that makes a difference in human health, saving and improving the lives of people in all corners of the globe.
- Virtual tours of AT's Adult and Children's Services, Foundation Learning and Business Departments
- A private training organisation in Plymouth, offering a wide range of flexible educational and vocational training courses to young people and adults.
GP Strategies Training Ltd
- Evolution of Apprenticeships video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQEQU029bbY
ICE - Institution of Civil Engineers
Become a civil engineer
Civil engineering is the art of planning and building the world we live in.
In other words: roads, buildings, wind turbines, bridges, railways, airports, tunnels, flood defences and much more.
Civil engineers transform lives by designing and building safe structures and providing essential life-giving services. They also tackle global environmental problems like climate change and pollution.
What’s more, there aren’t enough civil engineers to go around and their skills are in high demand in across the UK, so it’s a great career option for the future.
Here are some links to videos and guides from the Institution of Civil Engineers about working in civil engineering. We hope you enjoy finding out more about this exciting career!
DISCOVER CIVIL ENGINEERING VIDEO
Take a magical journey through our world built and designed by civil engineers, with a few surprises along the way. Find out what civil engineers do and how they’ve shaped our world:
CIVIL ENGINEERING CAREERS Q&A WITH JACK AND SAM VIDEO
Why civil engineering? Hear from civil engineering student Sam Whelan in this interview by vlogger and YouTube star Jack Edwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQQDp22m1ZU&feature=youtu.be
11-16 CIVIL ENGINEERING CAREERS GUIDE
Featuring inspiring engineers and projects and useful information about subject-choices and study pathways: https://www.ice.org.uk/ICEDevelopmentWebPortal/media/Documents/what-is-civil-engineering/ICE-11-16-Civil-Engineering-Careers-Guide.pdf?ext=.pdf
16-18 CIVIL ENGINEERING CAREERS WEBINAR SERIES
Featuring real-life civil engineers answering questions about apprenticeships, studying at uni, saving lives through engineering and how to become a civil engineer:
16-18 CIVIL ENGINEERING CAREERS GUIDE
Featuring case studies and useful information about subject-choices and study pathways:
If you have any questions, please get in touch: email@example.com
Construction Careers and Apprenticeships
- Building Plymouth is a Plymouth City Council-led partnership set up to connect local people with career opportunities in construction in Plymouth.
- Plymouth City Council Expertise Directory
Go Construct: Construction careers:
Find out which construction roles are most suited to your interests, skills and qualifications.
Skills Launchpad Plymouth Resource Bank: All careers:
On our site we have loads of advice for:
- Choosing a career
- Choices at age 16
- Gaining working experience
- Support for guardians
- Support for care leavers
Construction careers video on Youtube:
Education, Training and Research Programmes
The Learning Institute
Cut and paste the following link into your browser -
Emergency Services Careers and Apprenticeships
Devon and Cornwall Police
- Working for Devon and Cornwall Police Recruitment Advice https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/your-right-to-information/our-people/recruitment/
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue
- Devon and Somerset Website : https://bit.ly/35TuCeK
- Careers : https://bit.ly/3oIDfB6
- Cadets: https://bit.ly/3mNZbJF
- Values: https://bit.ly/2JlCP3C
- A virtual tour of a Fire Station - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLGpjXwbPh4
- Stop Drop and Roll - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qVQ_TRWcwY
- Water Rescue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUiXptd0QH4
- Great Fire of London - https://www.youtube.com/watch=iQIxDu3oVBM&ab_channel=DevonandSomersetFireandRescueService
- Chip pan demonstration - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlJglBI6bs&ab_channel=DevonandSomersetFireandRescueService
- More than firefighter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12PWryYKE_w&ab_channel=DevonandSomersetFireandRescueService
- Control Staff
- On Call Firefighter Information Booklet
Finance and Banking, Careers / Apprenticeships
- ‘Whether you’re interested in doing an apprenticeship, graduate scheme, internship or some work experience, the Santander programme will bring out the best in you. You’ll build skills, confidence and your network at one of the leading financial services providers in the UK. And, on the way to a fulfilling career with us, you’ll discover talents you never even thought you had’.
- The link is below Santander Emerging Talent website https://www.santanderjobs.co.uk/settingpotentialfree/work-experience.php
- Careers information at the TSB https://www.tsbcareers.co.uk/
Further and Higher Education (Inc Apprenticeships)
Apprenticeship opportunities -
For amazing apprenticeship opportunities with placements in local companies please click here.
Details on the Foundation Learning Provision -
Virtual Engineering Event Wednesday, 31 March between 6pm – 7pm - see link below
City College Plymouth
Cornwall College Group
The Cornwall College Campuses in St Austell, Newquay and Camborne are holding virtual open and careers advice events on Thursday, 20 May 2021 from 5pm — 7pm.
- Virtual tour of Cornwall Collegewww.virtual.cornwall.ac.uk
- STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- CONTACT- NEXT STEPS
- CAMPUS OVERVIEW
- STUDENT SUPPORT
- Cornwall College Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFdpewo2iPA
- Start your Career Adventure | Degrees at The Cornwall College Group | University Cornwall and Devon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS1jMMvCpZg
Exeter College, Centre for University Level Studies
Exeter College’s accountancy training is provided by A Plus Training, a specialist training provider.
- Are you wanting to kick start your career and gain highly sought after skills, qualifications and work in a Russell Group University? Look no further, our apprenticeships will give you the skills, confidence and qualifications to join our Higher Education’s next generation of professional teams. http://www.exeter.ac.uk/apprenticeships/becomeanapprentice/ourapprenticeships/
- Considering the University of Exeter (presentation) https://youtu.be/YmSK64v_XGc
- University of Exeter overview https://youtu.be/SbGMvOMFpJ4
- Drone footage of our Streatham Campus, Exeter https://youtu.be/TVhnyCBQf18
- Campus Tour of our Streatham Campus, Exeter https://youtu.be/USsEJ6Rq3AI
- Drone footage of our Penryn Campus, Cornwall https://youtu.be/MD5nACVCAA4
- Campus Tour of our Penryn Campus, Cornwall https://youtu.be/sLBnicNlxQg
- Student Life at our Penryn Campus, Cornwall https://youtu.be/sxcXyKxdX8c
- Student Life at our Streatham Campus, Exeter https://youtu.be/bqta-Tw0VeU
- Studying at the University https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/
Marjons (University of St Mark and St John)
- Student life at Marjon video
- Marjon undergraduate prospectus for 2021 entry
- Top tips for UCAS applications
- Routes into teaching
- Applying to University
- Routes into a career in sport
Plymouth College of Art
- Class of 2020 Student Works – Plymouth College of Art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473R_OE7GzY
Your Energy – Plymouth College of Art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qitVa296r8I
Pre Recorded Presentation on Student Life plus Q and A session at Plymouth College of Art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDgsBMcH0TE
- Solent University Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-wQ1jVq_58
South Devon College
- Selection of webinars from South Devon College including Animal Science, Hospitality and Catering, Health Care -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4TV44xojUEvT1-Lfp2EjA
- Welcome to the University Centre at South Devon College https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0fBNSGAsppDTEjMVu69GQA
- University Centre Course Details https://www.ucsd.ac.uk/courses/
Highway Services and Construction
South West Highways
We do take on annually Highway Maintenance Operatives from the local area and there are graduate entry levels too.
Plymouth City Council expertise Directory, which has a description of what we are as a company and many other providers to the Construction and built environment in Plymouth.
Health and Care Professions, Training Courses, Apprenticeships
Proud to Care
Proud to Care Devon represents all health and care organisations across Devon and provides lots of information on careers, career pathways, qualifications required for roles and much more.
The Proud to Care website provides information across health and care including;
- Careers available in the sector and progression routes
- Information about education and training, including apprenticeships, local places to study and work placement opportunities
- Inspiring real stories of people working in the sector, including film clips and blogs and vlogs
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01392 383000 and ask for Proud to Care.
The courses are a mix of IT courses ranging from hardware, software, coding, Linux and cyber security. They’re 100% free as they are created and sponsored by Cisco Networking Academy. We host these courses on our site and offer support/resource if required, the link here contains some details for you on the courses, where to register and what they contain,
The courses are self-enrolled and can be done at any time, the links expire next October.
Students interested in the following subjects might be inspired:
Degrees are 4 years long or you can do another degree (e.g. Geography) followed by a 2 year Masters in Landscape Design,
- Potential careers in landscape - design, planning, scientist, urban designer
- Video inspiring students to go into landscape design made by the Landscape Institute
Our own website shows the variety of work that a landscape architect can be involved in: from tiny gardens to large public open spaces, improving wildlife, to creating better places for people to live and work. http://rathbonepartnership.co.uk
Womble Bond Dickinson
- Apprenticeship Brochure
- Apprenticeships at WBD - video
- Top Tips for applying to the Apprenticeship Programme at WBD - video
Additional links -
Marine Biological Association
- MBA Student Member Sancha Conway Holroyd’s online talk ‘Marine Biology – a student’s perspective’, about her University experience, opportunities and top tips to get the ball rolling and progress your dream career! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmY3rkfcrdQ
- Join as a Young Marine Biologist Member https://www.mba.ac.uk/young-marine-biologist-membership
Medical and Bio Sciences
Medicine / Healthcare Careers and Apprenticeships
NHS Trust (Devon Partnership)
- Devon Partnership Trust NHS weblink https://www.dpt.nhs.uk/
- A selection of video clips (2-3 minutes), many featuring staff describing their NHS roles and services. https://www.youtube.com/user/DPTNHS/videos
Medicine / Dentistry
Brighton and Sussex Medical School
- New 2022 BSMS Prospectus – Students/Teachers/Careers Advisors/Parents and Carers
- Virtual Open Days for Years 12 and 13 - click here for more information
July Monthly Lecture – Years 7+: Wednesday, 7 July 2021 via Zoom 6.30 – 7.30pm.
Getting into Medicine - online talk
Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
Please see the link below which takes you to the different Faculty of Health degree programmes. On this page you will see a series of video clips which includes a pre-recorded talk for Biomedical Sciences, Diagnostic Radiography, Medicine and Dentistry. There is also a Biomedical Science example lecture, Dentistry EBL example session and Medicine EBL example session. You will also find at the bottom of the page a ‘virtual tour’ of the University of Plymouth campus.
Stem careers - Apprenticeships / Placements
- Careers section of Met Office website, detailing Apprenticeships, Placements and Work Experience https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/careers/apprentices-graduates-and-placements
- To bring the work of the Met Office to life in the minds of young people, this section introduces some of the careers in weather and climate. Watch some video case studies of Met Office employees, reflecting on the range of skills you might need for an exciting career in weather.https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/met-office-for-schools/themes-for-11-14/people-in-weather-and-climate
- Potential careers with the MET Office
Veterinary Science and Careers
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- RCVS link to Walks of Life Vet Science for All, plus further links to YouTube videos - next steps, student life, etc.
Please contact - Jill Macdonald, VN Futures Project Manager, to ask any questions about a career in veterinary nursing - email@example.com
Yacht Building Apprenticeships
**Disclaimer** While we have made every effort to verify all contributors and their contributions to the 2020 Virtual Careers Day, Ivybridge Community College is not responsible for the content that third parties publish, upload or transmit via You Tube or from their own websites. Although we have checked all links prior to publishing under no circumstances will Ivybridge Community College be responsible or liable for any link or video content communicated within this Virtual Career’s Event.