Extreme Weather Protocol
Extreme Weather Protocol
Ivybridge Community College will do its utmost to try to remain open wherever possible and a decision to close the College will only be made if we cannot keep the site safe, if the travel routes to and from College are a cause for concern, or if the student:teacher ratio is deemed to be unsafe.
However, in the event of extreme weather which threatens the safety of students and staff, a decision to close the College will be made and the following protocols will apply.
Closure before the start of the College day due to severe weather:
If we decide to close the College before the start of the College day, we will inform you in the following ways:
- A message will appear on the College website https://www.ivybridge.devon.sch.uk/ by 7.15am each day (although we will aim to be sooner) and we will update the website with information, as far as possible, during the day.
- We will also notify Devon County Council (https://new.devon.gov.uk/schools/closure/), Radio Devon and Heart FM.
College open but certain bus routes not running:
There are occasions when the College is open but some of the bus companies are unable to operate their routes. Unfortunately they do not always tell us this is the case before children leave for the bus stop. The Devon County Council website does however carry information on which bus services are not running and we will update our website as soon as we have that information.
If a bus service is not running, students should try and find alternative transport to College if possible. If not possible, they should return home and let the College know as soon as possible that their bus has not run. If a bus has not run in the morning, it is highly unlikely the route will be restored in the afternoon. Occasionally the bus companies take the decision to collect students early because of concerns about deteriorating weather, in this case we will let you know by text or email and via our website as soon as possible.
Closure during the College day:
Our priority is to keep all students safe and calm, therefore, please follow these instructions so we can keep the students calm and reassured that they are safe. Please do not phone/text your child/children if you are worried about deteriorating weather as it causes them alarm and other children to panic also. However, if you wish to collect your child because of concerns about the safety of their journey home, please telephone the College and we will get a message to him/her that you are on your way.
If for any reason weather forces us to close during the College day, we will inform you in the following ways:
- We will put information on our website. Those parents who have given us their email addresses and text contacts, we will send you a message. This message will direct you to the College website which is where we will put all advice/instructions. Again, please do not text or phone your child at this point as it may cause panic and concern.
- Normally the College buses will arrive early to ensure that students who catch the bus are able to get home. This is at the bus company’s discretion and we usually have a call from them telling us they will arrive early. We will let you know if this is the case. Students who catch the service buses will need to make alternative arrangements however.
- Students who are being collected by car will be supervised until you arrive. If you have made arrangements for your child to go home with a friend, please let us know.
- If it becomes clear in the unlikely event of extreme and dangerous weather that we are forced to close, we will post this on the College website and text/email all parents for whom we have these details. However, we will provide a safe place for students to wait.
Everything reasonably possible will be done to ensure children’s safety and well-being.
If you do not receive information from the College to the contrary, please assume that the College will be open as usual.
In times of adverse weather, students are permitted to wear suitable footwear, for example, wellington boots.
Closure of the A38
In the event of a closure of the A38 at the end of the College day, we will endeavour to get your children home safely and swiftly. However, if there is a considerable time after College, your children will be supervised and looked after accordingly. Information will be placed on the College website and students will be asked to use their mobile phones to contact you.