Safer Internet Day - Tuesday, 11 February 2020
The theme for Safer Internet Day 2020 is “Together for a better Internet”; with the aim of the day to inspire conversations about using technology responsibly, critically and creatively.
Specifically, there is a focus upon how students manage their online identities, and how the facts or characteristics students present online will shape how other people will perceive, judge and interact with them.
Top tips for parents:
1. Talk regularly with your child / children about how they use technology, and how being online makes them feel.
2. Engage in conversation regarding diversity and inclusivity online, and steer the conversation about being respectful online – words and emojis on a screen may not reflect how someone is feeling.
3. Ensure you monitor your home’s Internet enabled devices – you can often set restricted online times, or have a “device locker” – whereby all digital devices “locked away” for a period of time each day
4. Get involved – spend time with your child looking at, and interacting with, the activities they do online; both the positives and negatives!
5. Ask for help: this link from Childnet International https://www.childnet.com/parents-and-carers/need-help is a good starting point.
Please find below some useful information for parental support regarding games consoles and for activities for parents to do with their children.