Health and Social Care
Head of Department: Emily Perrett
BTEC Health and Social Care is a modular specification designed to introduce you to a wide range of health related topics. BTEC Level 3 subsidiary diploma (60 credits) is broadly equivalent to one GCE A Level.
This course is suitable for you if you are interested in working in related fields in the future. You will need to have achieved the College’s entry requirements for tertiary education.
The course will appeal to those students who:
- Enjoy interaction with others
- Are keen to build on their communication skills
- Enjoy studying a subject that is relevant to their own lives and experiences
- Have good interpersonal skills
- Want to keep their options open for higher education and careers
- Have an interest in working in the Health or Social Care sectors at any level.
The modules that are studied are:
- Developing Effective Communication
- Equality, Diversity and Rights
- Health, Safety and Security
- Development through the Life Stages
- Sociological Perspectives
- Psychological Perspectives
- Nutrition for Health and Social Care
All assessment is completed through assignments. Each unit has specified assessment criteria to be used for grading purposes. A summative unit grade can be awarded at pass, merit or distinction.
Higher education and career opportunities
This interesting and varied course will provide you with a wide range of options for higher education or full time employment in the related sectors.
The qualification provides learners with a range of knowledge, understanding and skills which are highly regarded by employers, with the potential for further professional development.
This course can provide an excellent vocational skill set making you highly employable in an increasingly competitive job market. Alternatively you will be equally prepared to pursue higher education with this qualification which is well regarded by universities.
Students may go on to pursue Higher Education in related courses including:
- Teacher training
- Early Years Education
- Social Work
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Employment opportunities exist in:
- Health Care
- Social Care
- Prison Service
- Emergency services